Thursday, June 4, 2015

EPT#2
     Margaret Mead's argument in this passage is that we can praise and rejoice other peoples success and accomplish without any question,  but when it comes to someone close for example a friend we sometimes see it as a threat.  We are taught how to celebrate other achievements but achievements reached by close relations or friends are seen as a competition.  I for one agree with miss Mead's analysis.
      I agree with Miss Mead's analysis for many different reasons.  Some are personal experiences,  some are from observation, and some from reading.  In life whenever someone that you don't know or aren't mutual friends does something or succeeds in something your basic instinct is to congratulate them right?  But this becomes a different story if it's your friend, brother, sister,  or etc.  If one of them succeeds or achieves something your basic instinct isn't first to congratulate them , you get a little jealous, or you take the achievement or success as a threat or challenge.
As human beings life is a competition everywhere we look or go people are always trying to out due or out best each other.  The funny thing about it is its usually people who are close to one another.  This is utterly ridiculous to me,  because we have no problem to rejoice others or strangers success or achievements.  However when it's someone close to us we give a fake smile, but depend own were boiling with envy and jealously.  We feel as if their achievement or success is a slap in the face and that it's a taunting challenge.
  I also find  this disgusting and pitiful,  because we should always celebrate or rejoice to one another's success no matter who it is or how envious we are.  I won't lie I myself have done this.  I remember one time when my friend won a track meet and I felt like he was showing off just because he won.  I was a little jealous to because I had lost my race.  But ironically when I saw someone on TV who won their track meet I was glad for their success.  It made no sense to me.  How could I feel jealous towards my friend's success, but joy towards a complete strangers success?

No comments:

Post a Comment